Saturday 4 January 2014

Flowers

Our garden is filled with productive plants.  I only put flowers in to attract beneficial insects as we're trying to produce as much food as possible.  But recently I have started looking after the church garden, which means I can plant whatever flowers I like.  I'm still figuring out what works, and what doesn't, but it's nice to be able to indulge my "flowery side".
The first things I added to what was there already were cornflowers, which are easy to grow but all fell over.  Maybe I should have pinched the tops out, or maybe a dwarf variety would be better.
There are hollyhocks all over the place, which come up every year from seed

and a very flamboyant Hibiscus
The iris that was stuck under a great big daisy bush flowered this week.  It's not quite 2 feet high. I only noticed when I accidentally knocked the flower off...
My favourite flower this week is the Coreopsis Amulet which has finally flowered, and looking at all those buds is going to keep on flowering for a while.  I don't know what the yellow one is called, I've had it around for years.


There is a mystery plant at one end of the main bed which I've been told has yellow flowers - anyone know what it's called?  It dies right down in winter.
I've also put in lots of poppies of both kinds.  One has fluffy purple flowers but I'm still waiting on it to produce any.

And of course, snapdragons.  They come up everywhere from seed, lovely things























No comments:

Post a Comment