Sunday, 14 August 2016

Raised beds

Our latest projects have required a lot of digging.  First, we paid the kids (per bucketful) to dig out this hole for a woodshed (I posted about this briefly earlier in the year)

It's at the bottom end of the vege garden, this photo from March.

The other project, starting at the top end of that vege garden, was to convert it to raised beds.  They are untreated macrocarpa, 5.5m x 1.1m outside measurement.  By the time we've finished all 7 we'll have 37.8 sqm. of vege garden.  That will be nice.
Box 1

Box 2 and 3

We didn't think we'd have a hope of even half-filling them but as it turns out the garden slopes upward as it moves away from the driveway and we've had to move quite a lot of dirt to make them level.  It's mostly black clay, so we'll probably buy in compost to fill in the top half.  I used up all our compost on the first bed, which has shallots and garlic in it.  Mum gave me some lime which I'll sprinkle on too.

No comments:

Post a Comment