Saturday 17 May 2014

I want one of these!

We went to the Taranaki Aviation Transport & Technology Museum  on Wednesday and had a look around.  The kids liked the plane they were allowed to climb on,

and the wee zoomy things that shot about like rocket-propelled flying foxes. I can't remember what they were called but they were used to send notes back and forth in factories or large offices, I think.  There was a good collection of old stuff, some of which I recognised, like the washing machine Grandma Merrilees used to have, and a mincer just like my one.

The highlight for me, though, was this machine, a corn shucker.  We grow our own popcorn, which pops really well, but the problem is getting it off the cob.  And this year we grew Blue Hopi corn, planning to grind it in our grain mill, but it's a very labour-intensive job, and hard on the fingers, to remove it from the cob.  I might start looking out for one of these on Trademe!


I'm not sure why this has uploaded at such low res, it should be much less blurry...

No comments:

Post a Comment